[Enigmail] key problem

John Clizbe John at enigmail.net
Mon Jan 23 15:05:47 PST 2012

garlicxsauce at distruzione.org wrote:
> Hey Olav,
>
> Pardon my ignorance in this field, how can i import a key in both ways,
> public and private? i tried to do as you suggested, importing my old key
> into the gpg4win (import certificates), simply picking up my old key
> file, that i copied as an icon from my old machine. In this way, i
> basically just import my public old key and my new system cannot
> recognize the private part of the key. there's a way for exporting the
> key from my old machine ( i had windows privacy tray as enc-software on
> that one) so that i can use the old key as my main key in this new pc,
> without creating any new one, and, following that, re-install TB+EG and
> pick it up? after that i'll try to decrypt some old mails, and i'll see
> how it goes.

Copy the entire GnuPG directory from your XP install to the expected location
for Windows 7, i.e, C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\ or whatever the
localized equivalent. You need to copy all of the .gpg files.

This is subject to change in GnuPG 2.1.x

-John

[1] It should /normally/ be located in the same directory as the keyring files:
pubring.gpg, secring.gpg, trustdb.gpg. The default locations are

 - Window XP and earlier (XP/2000/NT) -
    C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\GnuPG

 - Windows Vista and Windows 7:
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\gnupg

--
John P. Clizbe                      Inet: John ( a ) Enigmail DAWT net
FSF Assoc #995 / FSFE Fellow #1797  hkp://keyserver.gingerbear.net  or

A:"An odd melody / island voices on the winds / surplus of vowels"