[Enigmail] The new Enigmail code?

Patrick Brunschwig patrick at enigmail.net
Mon Jan 23 08:56:54 PST 2012

On 22.01.12 20:27, David wrote:
> On 1/22/2012 1:25 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:

>>> TB 10 is expected at the end of january
>>> (https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases). Given the six week
>>> release cycle we should end up at TB 17 or TB 18 at christmas
>>> this year.
>
>> [semi-off-topic]
>
>> I'm seeing a probably-unanticipated side effect of Mozilla's
>> rapid release cycle ...  increasing numbers of extensions are
>> falling out of availability simply because their authors have
>> more important things to be doing with their time than update
>> the version compatibility number every few weeks.  By the time
>> they check it again for compatibility, the major version's
>> bumped again...
>

> Also OT and I'll stop with this.
>
> There is a six week release cycle for Thunderbird and Firefox. The
>  soon to be released TBird 10.0 spent six weeks as a daily (daily
> updates), six weeks as an Aurora (feature freeze with bug fixes)
> when needed, six weeks as a beta (complete freeze with 'must fix
> bug fixes), before release. 18 weeks in the system.
>
> There is also the Addon Compatibility Reporter that will let you
> run the extension compatible report or not and report that the
> extensions still works, or does not as expected, or not at all.
>
> It seems to me that the extension developers, if they carried to do
> so, have plenty of time.
>
> And I stop here as I said above.

That's exactly how Mozilla presumes things to work. However, from my
own experience these are quite shallow arguments. In practice, it
still means that you have to do a full-scope test of your addon every
six weeks. It does not matter if you do this on comm-aurora or
comm-beta, your still on the 6-weeks cycle. Furthermore, the nightly
builds are for developers only: not all new features will make it into
aurora, and sometimes the nightly build doesn't even start.

You can turn it the way you want: the release cycle is 6 weeks, and
that's too frequent for some addon developers.

That said, I'll shut my mouth on this thread.

- -Patrick