[Enigmail] key problem

Olav Seyfarth olav at seyfarth.de
Mon Jan 23 07:22:45 PST 2012

Hi garlicxsauce,

> Thanks for the help. i'll try and let you know. Anyway, i thought that
> importing my key from the xp machine could create some kind of
> problems,  so i basically imported just the other contacts from the
> other computer, and i create myself a new keypair. So i really dont
> know where i could have set something wrong..anyway, i'll re-install
> TB + enigmail from the beginning and see if the whole thing gets
> fixed!

That (along with transferred settings/cinfig files) could be the cause.

Please do NOT create a new key just because you are on a new system.
That way you end up with many similar keys in order to be able to
decrypt old messages.

In the new profile, just import the one (private+public) key from your
old system
(gpg --import <key.gpg>) prior to installing EM and select that key in
EM's wizard.

Olav