[Enigmail] Question about basic steps

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Sat Jan 21 19:41:41 PST 2012

On 1/21/2012 6:43 PM, Alex aka Soyouth wrote:
> I am a total newbie,

Everyone starts off that way.  Welcome to the community!

> I was able to setup enigmail in thunderbird under ubuntu 10.4.

First, congratulations on getting things set up.  However, please be
warned that in April of this year Ubuntu will stop supporting 10.04.  If
you haven't already made your upgrade plans, you might want to start
now, while you have plenty of time.  :)

> I could send a message to adele and received an encrypted one but it
> only worked once. Maybe it has to do with the smtp server I am using ?

Probably not.  However, I don't use Adele and know little about it, so I
can't really speak authoritatively.

> Also I do not understand the exact meaning of Sign Message versus
> Attach my public key .

To sign a document means, "do some mathemagic that lets other people
prove it hasn't been altered."  To do this, though, they have to have a
copy of your public key.  If you attach a copy of your public key the
other people will be able to do the mathemagic.

Attaching your public key is not an ideal method of key distribution.
Most people find the keyserver network to be more useful and convenient.
 (ObDisclosure: like John, I run a keyserver.)

> If I want people to be able to reply to me with encryption, shall I
> just sign it or also attach my key ?

Neither.  Upload your key to a keyserver.

Again: welcome to the community!  :)