[Enigmail] Thunderbird: Error in accessing enigmail service

krONik fu11SPAMTRAPPER at yahoo.com.SPAMTRAPPER
Sat Nov 13 15:01:18 EST 2004

Thierry Legras wrote:

> When i open the "generate key" window inTBird, i got an error popup:
> "Error in accessing enigmail service"

I get this problem with TB 0.9 on Mandrake Linux. I have installed both
enigmail and enigmime via urpmi. This I did as root. I also started up
Thunderbird and configured GPG preferences as root. Thunderbird is
installed system-wide.

I then set up Enigmail preferences in Thunderbird as a user. I notice
that in enigmail console, stuff like this is printed:

====== Console Text starts here ======
Initializing Enigmail service ...
EnigmailAgentPath=/usr/bin/gpg

enigmail> /usr/bin/gpg --batch --no-tty --version
gpg (GnuPG) 1.2.4
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.

Home: ~/.gnupg
Supported algorithms:
Pubkey: RSA, RSA-E, RSA-S, ELG-E, DSA, ELG
Cipher: 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256, TWOFISH
Compression: Uncompressed, ZIP, ZLIB, BZIP2

/usr/bin/gpg --batch --no-tty --gen-key
%echo Generating a standard key
Key-Type: DSA
Key-Length: 1024
Subkey-Type: ELG-E
Subkey-Length: 1024
Name-Real: Blanked Out
Name-Comment: Mozilla Thunderbird Encryption by Enigmail and GPG
Name-Email: blanked_out at blanked_out.com
Expire-Date: 0

enigmail> /usr/bin/gpg --batch --no-tty --status-fd 2 --with-colons
--list-keys
gpg: checking the trustdb
gpg: checking at depth 0 signed=0 ot(-/q/n/m/f/u)=0/0/0/0/0/1

enigmail> /usr/bin/gpg --batch --no-tty --status-fd 2 -a --export
0x7DE9C7C4D21A
23FC

enigmail> /usr/bin/gpg --batch --no-tty --status-fd 2 --comment 'Using
GnuPG wit
h Thunderbird - http://enigmail.mozdev.org' -a -e -s -r
<blanked_out at blanked_out.com>
-u <blanked_out at blanked_out.com>undefined
gpg: skipped `<blanked_out at blanked_out.com>undefined': secret key not
available
gpg: [stdin]: sign+encrypt failed: secret key not available
enigmail.js: Enigmail.encryptMessageEnd: Error in command execution
enigmail.js: Enigmail.encryptMessage: Error in command execution
====== Console Text ends here ======

If I sign and encrypt an email, when I send, the following error is
displayed in a message window:

====== Error Message Window Text starts here ======
Error - encryption command failed

gpg command line and output:
<recipients.address at recipients.email.server> -u
<blanked_out at blanked_out.com>undefined

gpg: skipped '<blanked_out at blanked_out.com>undefined': secret key not
available
gpg: [stdin]: sign+encrypt failed: secret key not available
====== Error Message Window Text starts here ======

To summarise, its all stuffed and I dont have a clue. Google hasnt
helped me so far. Are there any good links that will help
explain the setup? TIA!

--
cBe,
Anthony =8^)